Friday, June 29, 2012

The Mind Museum

So I've been eyeing to go here in the Mind Museum located at The Fort simply because I have taken interest on their dino exhibits. Believe it or not, when I was young, majority of my toys were dinosaurs. Yep from Jurassic Park's movie casts doll toys to dinosaur figurines, dino puppets etc.  I had an obsession about them before and  dreamt that one day I would excavate a fossil. @_@ Yeah yeah weird huh? And I was the only Third Grader in elementary that answered 'Archeologist' on the question 'What do you want to become when you grow up? Most would say Doctor. Hahaha! Um anyway enough about me, the Entrance fees are:


1. All Day Pass - Php 750
2. For under 3 Hour Scheduled Visit (which are available on these time slots) - Php 600
    9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
    12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
    3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Sat & Sun only)
3. For students and teachers - Php 150

By the way they're closed on Mondays so don't bother going.

The Mind Museum is a PHP 1B project that is funded by private and corporate donors. Engineers, architects, scientists, consultants, exhibit visitors, students and volunteers have been working on this project since 2006 and started building right after 1 year. The museum is 8000 sq.m wide and the exhibit area is at 5000 sq. m.

The exterior is well designed.
For more information, please visit http://www.themindmuseum.org/.

Here are some of my shots from my trip.

We bought an All Day pass because we didn't arrive at the scheduled time slots. But I suggest just arriving on time as you'd explore the museum at approx 3 hrs.
You'd be greeted by the robot. Aedi which explains what to expect inside.
I. The Story of Earth

All sorts of rice grain. Even the umbrella is made of glass filled with grains inside.
It says.. "The cousin of chickens, million years ago I hatched from an egg like a bird.  I found a female of my species, with whom I spent the rest of my life. In our world, the largest creature..?" I can't read the rest haha but can you guess what's behind?
Behind is the Tyrannosaurus Rex!
Fossil Dig
Fossils!
So cool, mosquito fossil! And amber off course, for those of you who didn't know, the yellow thingie is amber, or  fossilized tree resin. ( They should have included the amber info in the museum.)
Leaf Fossil! 
The different Epochs and Pre historic times.
II. The Story of the Universe

There is also a small planetarium inside where you can watch  a short documentary about  old earth, asteroids and comets.
Can you guess? This background was spinning and kind of made me dizzy. Quasars? Galaxies? Supernovas?
A replica of a vehicle launched on Mars. You can control it.
Do you know how much an astronaut suit costs? It is estimated to be $15M - $20M. They should have added this info and how it protects the astronauts from cosmic radiation.
III. The Story of the Atom

The elements.
This wasn't functioning at all! The static didn't made our hair stand up! (Which it should.)
I would love to have my hershey this big!
IV. The Story of Life

I'm being swallowed! Lol. Whale sharks only eat plankton.
Darwin's Theory of Evolution
Sample DNA structure.
These are just some of the exhibits you'll see. My overall rating? Hmm I guess 7/10. The only part I enjoyed was the awesome fossils I saw. The others were mere ... mediocre? OK not MEDIOCRE but Nido Fortified Science Discovery Center at the Mall of Asia was a lot more interactive. All I'm saying is it can make room for improvements. The elementary kids will have a blast but adults like us would know all these facts and I could add even more facts to their exhibits! I honestly had more fun in Nido's Discovery Center and it's cheaper there. (Php 550 I think. Kids and adults will enjoy it there.) The Php 150 entrance for students is definitely worth it but not the Php 750.

My mind wasn't exactly blown by the Mind Museum but the kids will have a blast. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment